A Woman’s Principal Healthcare Provider
The HMOs of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois (BCBSIL) will offer female members both choice and direct access to all marketed Woman’s Principal Healthcare Providers (WPHCPs) within the HMO Network.
Please remember the following information regarding a Woman’s Principal Health Provider:
- A WPHCP is a physician licensed to practice medicine in all its branches specializing in obstetrics and gynecology or family practice, and who may also choose to act as a Primary Care Physician (PCP), practicing medicine outside the scope of the OB/GYN services.
- The purpose of a WPCHP is to assure female HMO members the right to access the WPCHP of their choice.
- The purpose of a WPCHP is to assure Independent Physician’s Association (IPA) accountability for WPHCP care.
- A WPHCP may be seen for care without referrals from the PCP. However, the PCP and the WPHCP must have a referral arrangement with one another.
- As part of your enrollment female members may also choose a WPHCP.
HPPO recognizes and adheres to the WPCHP law, however, we also recommend female members utilize their chosen PCP and follow the “gate keeper model” of the HMO.